Monday, February 07, 2005

People.

I have a bad problem not remembering the names of people I just meet. For example, I met someone for the first time today in the hallway at work and about a second after we exchanged names I forgot her name. I guess I'm just too focused on saying my name at the right point in the conversation and wondering what they want with me. Also, most people have common names so it just gets confusing. What makes it worse is that everyone can remember my name because it's so unusual. I end up walking around, having random people with familiar faces saying hi and talking to me.

What really sucks is when I ask someone a question and they tell me to go see someone else who I really should know by now. That's always trouble because it's too stupid of me to ask who that person is. What I usually do is wander around a bit looking for nametags or something, all the while acting casual. Although, it is amazing how long you can go without actually using someone's name. There is one guy in my office who says hi, by name, to me almost every day, for over a month now, and I draw a blank every time. I usually just respond with "hey" or "what's up?" and continue with whatever he was talking about. Funny part is he has a nametag on his clothes with his last name, which I could then use to find out his first name, but I havn't yet managed to get a good look at it.

2 Comments:

Blogger joanne said...

Apparently, the way to solve this is that after the person introduces themself you should repeat their name. So, when I am like, "Nice to meet you, my name is Joanne." You reply with "SUPER AWESOME to meet you, Joanne." I have tried this and failed many times before though..

By the way, I actually learned this in a COM class too. I have the most un-useful major ever.

7:31 PM  
Blogger stuffbox said...

I actually learned that on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Just don't go to class anymore watch that show. Same stuff. I don't ever remember to say it though. I'll try.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home