Friday, April 22, 2005

stuffbox.

Let me regale you with the nerdy story of my name 'stuffbox'. My memory is faulty but this is close to what happened. Back in the mid 90's (i think 95 or 96) when space monkeys were cool, I was a student in the 6th or 7th grade. (haha read that website I linked to, funny) I had been using computers for awhile but the internet had now grown and looked better. My family had also gotten a new computer, which was awesome for the time (pentium 75mhz baby). Anyway, my friend Nadeem and I discovered this program called mIRC, which was basically a chat program using IRC networks. IRC networks consisted of rooms called channels which contained people chatting, sharing files and whatnot. Well I had to pick a nickname to chat under of course.

We created a channel called #box. My friend picked the name 'funbox', I guess because he was fun or something and I picked 'stuffbox'. This was because back in middle school, I used to have a jacket with two breast pockets. In one of these pockets I used to keep random things I came across. Such things included a paperclip for picking locks, a rock, pack of cards, a winning free coke bottle cap, etc. Just random stuff I'd come across and could use or keep me entertained later. And there, thats about it. stuffbox was born. Over the years I have noticed that the name stuffbox is still pretty much mine although there might be a few imposters out there. Ah yes, nerdtastic.

As an aside, there are probably some relics of the #box channel floating on the internet. I know there was some sort of script made that I found a few years back. Not sure where I put it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home